Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Not Quite Done-In-One

For those of you interested in such things (and I know this includes all three of us here at Tha J.O.B.), Warren Ellis has a thread at The Engine dedicated to single pages from scripts-in-progress from the writers who hang out there. One particular passage from the page of script posted by Matt Fraction (from an upcoming issue of The Immortal Iron Fist) only made him climb a couple of notches higher on my Writer I Dig list:
2-- NIGHT. We’re angling on a humble bed-- think a futon mattress on a floor, placed next to a large, open window out of which we see a full moon bathing K’un-Lun in light. On that bed, sitting up, naked but wrapped in sheets are the FISHERMAN and WU. Totally DOING IT.

3 comments:

Tim said...

Yeah, Matt Fraction might just be The Man by this time next year.

Unknown said...

Do you choose favorite writers based on the ones who make it seem like anyone could write comics? I'm just saying -- totally doing it -- that sounds like something a fifth-grader would pen.

Allen said...

Funnily enough, Van, that's exactly how I pick my favorite writers! My, you're very perceptive. You're right, it has nothing to do with the fact that I can appreciate writers with a sense of humor -- juvenile though that sense of humor might sometimes be -- or writers who don't take themselves so seriously that they can't allow themselves to have fun with scripts that (normally, anyway) only a handful of people will ever see. Most comics scripts I've read have been pretty staid; this one wasn't. I appreciated that. I never said it was the height of wit on Fraction's part.

And thanks for paying such close attention to the "don't be a troll" message above the comment box.