Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Tuesday 10: DC 100 Page Super Spectacular Covers!


When I first entered the comics game in the early 70's, I had one pusher available to me: the local 7-11. Fortunately for my parents, 7-11's only stocked the standard cover price DC's each month. Unfortunately for my post-adolescent checkbook, those comics were loaded with in-house ads for 100 PAGE SUPER SPECTACULAR editions of my favorite titles. It wasn't until I was old enough to hit a con or two or drive to few and far between LCS' that I was finally able to hold some of these beauties in my hands, usually at around ten times cover price.

There was some (ill-informed) disappointment that the majority of the 100 pages were used for reprinted Golden Age and early Silver Age stuff, but I'm way over that now (especially since I realize now that a lot of it actually kicks major ass).

The covers still sell these books today, masterpieces mostly by the great Nick Cardy. Take a look:

10. Shazam #12: Mmmmmary Mmmmmarvel. I think I just realized why I loathe Countdown.








9. World's Finest #226: Superman (to Batman): "Metamorpho, the Doorknob of the DCU. Everybody gets a turn."









8. JLA #116: For my money, Justice League America had the most consistently good 100-page Giant covers, so it was hard to narrow it down to the few in this list. These days, kids see that cover and assume Santa just can't hold his hooch. Back then? Mind-blowing and frightful. (I don't have the issue handy--can someone explain why Dr. Mid-Nite's on the cover? The story's not titled Crisis at the North Pole.)







7. Shazam #16 Back in the day, I always wondered why the Seven Deadly Sins looked so goofy, but now it makes perfect sense. Would you really expect Greed or Sloth to look like something out of Hellraiser?






6. JLA #116:
Why aren't covers like this still the norm? I can still look at it without laughing, honest. (Well, except for Matter Master's utterly unimpressive wizard garb.)



5. Detective Comics #440: Don't know how much influence DC's large line of spooky comics (House of Mystery, House of Secrets, Ghosts, etc.) had on many of these Giants, but take a close look and you'll see creepiness everywhere.




4. World's Finest #225: See what I mean? "Bow Before Satan's Children"? Brrr... not seeing that on Super Friends Saturday morning.






3. Brave and the Bold #116:Here's a Spectre who would simply not abide by the Goddamn Batman.








2. Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #202: Much like modern comics, this actual scene doesn't take place in the book. But unlike the comics of today, there's at least Devil Fish in this story.

...and numero uno:






1. Detective Comics #439: This cover didn't grab me as immediately as some others in this list did the first time I saw it, but this image sticks with me to this day, so much so that it was easily the first comic I considered for the 10. It also contains a Batman story easily in the top 5 all-time. (I know this list is about covers, but you gotta be able to break ties somehow.)

______________________________________________________
Eternal thanks to Mike's Amazing World Of DC Comics DC covers indexes. I implore anyone who hasn't checked his galleries out to do so immediately. Also bring a square meal or two before viewing, because you'll lose several hours before you've refreshed your memory of DC titles like Hercules Unbound.

No comments: